February 19, 2021

I have never regretted getting connected with IHRAF - Chinedu Vincent Okoro

 

I HAVE NEVER REGRETTED GETTING CONNECTED WITH IHRAF - CHINEDU VINCENT OKORO

 



Chinedu Vincent Okoro is a poet and a member of Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA). He has a published work in IHRAF Publishes Anthology. In this Interview with Wole Adedoyin, President, Nigerian Chapter of the International Human Rights Art Festival (IHRAF), he shared with him comprehensive details about his writing career and his contact with IHRAF.

 

WA: PLEASE KINDLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF

 

CVO: I am Chinedu Vincent Okoro. Born in Aba, Abia State. I have a twin brother (non-identical). I’m also an educator and a social change activist. I write plays. I write short stories. I'm still learning how to write poetry. I read Educational Management and Political Science (B.Ed) from Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT), Nigeria. I also have Nigerian Certificate in Education (N.C.E) in Political Science and Social Studies from Institute of Ecumenical Education, Thinkers Corner, Enugu State. I'm the president of St. Vincent Literary Forum (SVLF), Nigeria, Consul, Movimiento poetas del mundo (Abia State) and a member of Association of Nigeria (ANA). I'm an ardent lover of Virgin Mary - mother of Jesus Christ. I'm single and looking forward to hooking up with my FRESH ROSE.

 

HOW AND WHERE DID YOU HEAR ABOUT IHRAF AND IHRAF PUBLISHES?

 

CVO: I got to know about IHRAF and IHRAF Publishes for the first time on the facebook  

handle of Mbizo Chirasha - a great bard I cherish so much. And I have never regretted getting connected with the organization.

 

WA: WHAT IS THE TITLE OF YOUR WORK THAT GOT PUBLISHED ON IHRAF PUBLISHES? 

 

Dear Truth.

 

WA: Did you participate in IHRAF’s last year END SARS Competition?  

 

CVO:  Of course, I did. I was among the 20 poets longlisted for the END SARS National Poetry Competition from over 100 submissions across five countries.

 

WA:  IF YES, WHAT IS THE TITLE OF THE ENTRY YOU SUBMITTED?

    

CVO: Till our voices and hands dine with the zenith

 

WA: DOES WRITING ENERGIZE OR EXHAUST YOU?

 

CVO: If you want to drain me out, take away pen, book, phone or any other material that can 

aid my writing in a day let alone days or weeks. I find solace in writing.  

 

WA: WHAT ARE COMMON TRAPS FOR ASPIRING WRITERS? 

 

CVO: Problem of originality. Most of the aspiring writers want to copy the writing styles of established writers without creating theirs. Also, being too quick to publish their books even when there are lots of assignments to be done in the book.

 

WA: HAVE YOU EVER GOTTEN READER’S BLOCK? 

 

CVO:  I can read any book or piece anytime and anywhere so far as the book or piece is 

interesting, entertaining, educative and not against my moral standard. The only thing  that can make me lose interest or feel tired reading a book (especially voluminous one) is when the message is too complex to comprehend

 

WA:  DID YOU EVER CONSIDER WRITING UNDER A PSEUDONYM?

 

 CVO:  No, I didn't think of that.

 

WA:  DO YOU TRY MORE TO BE ORIGINAL OR TO DELIVER TO READERS WHAT THEY WANT?

    

CVO: If you have read any of my works, you would see that there is no pretence. I'm very 

raw. I pour my heart to show my readers the way I feel about any subject I write.

 Pertaining to what the readers want, it is imperative that a writer should be acquainted with the happenings in his/her local community. This will help the writer to carry the readers along. For instance, no home-based writer needs to be told that many Nigerians even children are fed up with inept leadership in the country and are yearning for genuine change and not 'one chance change.' In this situation, writers should use their inks to project the people's yearnings and also discredit other things that eat up happiness and safety of the common people in the country such as terrorism, religious extremism, poverty, etc. So, I must say that inasmuch as I try to be original, I do take into consideration the needs of my readers.

 

WA:  DO YOU THINK SOMEONE COULD BE A WRITER IF THEY DON’T FEEL EMOTIONS STRONGLY?

 

CVO: And I ask, how can one be a writer without having strong emotions for writing? I don't 

think it's possible. It is a public knowledge that writing is not a lucrative venture for emerging writers in our contemporary society. It takes a young writer who has 

strong emotions for writing to be glued to it. And I must confess that it is the emotion that keeps people like us going.

 

WA:  WHAT OTHER AUTHORS ARE YOU FRIENDS WITH, AND HOW DO THEY HELP YOU BECOME A BETTER 

WRITER? 

 

CVO:  Mbizo Chirasha and Nnane Ntube are two writer friends who have affected my writing career tremendously. I must say that most of my works featured in/on international magazines, anthologies, etc. are all kudos to the literary opportunities these two precious souls brought to my doorstep. I will not forget Olatubosun Eniloluwa David, a writer friend turned brother and Dr. Ikechukwu Egbuta for their continuous encouragements and supports. In fact, during my long break on Facebook last year, they were there supplying me with literary opportunities and information from Facebook that uplifted my writing career last year.

 

WA: WHAT WAS AN EARLY EXPERIENCE WHERE YOU LEARNED THAT LANGUAGE HAD POWER?

 

CVO: The day I spoke up and challenged the young man who had always threatened and insulted my parents. Before then, I feared talking back at him whenever he threatened or insulted them. Believe me, after the encounter, he didn't threaten my parents again. I was in SS 2 then.

 

WHAT ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT MAGAZINES FOR WRITERS TO SUBSCRIBE TO? 

 

CVO: Bakwa magazine, Black Orpheus, Miombo publishing, Rage Cage zine, Brittle Paper,  Prairie Schooner, ActiveMuse, Transition magazine, Libretto, Parousia magazine (f

for Christian writers), the Republic, Different Truths, Kalahari Review and many more.

 

WA: HOW MANY UNPUBLISHED AND HALF-FINISHED BOOKS DO YOU HAVE?

  

CVO: Let me say fifteen now.

 

WA: WHAT DOES LITERARY SUCCESS LOOK LIKE TO YOU? 

   

CVO:  If a writer writes a book or piece that motivated and inspired his/her readers. I see it as literary success.

 

WA: WHAT’S THE BEST WAY TO MARKET YOUR BOOKS? 

    

CVO:  I promote my book, 'Now I know,’ on my social media handles and sell on Just Fiction, More Books, Amazon, African vivre, etc.

    

WA:  WHAT KIND OF RESEARCH DO YOU DO, AND HOW LONG DO YOU SPEND RESEARCHING BEFORE BEGINNING A BOOK? 

 

CVO:  I do a lot of researches and most of them are asking from the right source. For instance, if I'm writing anything related to law or medicine, I do visit prominent practitioners in the fields to get first hand information from them. Though, I don't carry out any research prior to the commencement of most of my literary works, due to the nature of my calling as a writer. I only do so, after my first drafts.

 

WA:  DO YOU VIEW WRITING AS A KIND OF SPIRITUAL PRACTICE? 

 

CVO: Based on my personal experiences, writing is more of spiritual to physical practice. I can be inspired by the physical issues or situations in my environment, but will not have a clear picture on how to put them down. I get more clarified on how to write them through dreams in the mid night and whispers during leisure period or in a quiet environment. Apart from that, writing has become a daily ritual practice (sacred tradition) to me. And spirituality is incomplete without observing the sacred tradition.

 

WA: FINAL ADVICE FOR IHRAF PUBLISHES. 

 

CVO: First and foremost, I salute Comrade Thomas Block and entire management team of IHRAF Publishes. You guys are doing great work. The Igbo man would say, "Onye agwala jide nke o ji, ya mara na nke o ji di mma." All I'm saying is that you should keep up the good work you are doing for literature and humanity.  Daalu.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment