March 9, 2021

One who aspires becoming a writer must have the emotional muscle to withstand several "NOS" from Publishers - Chukwu Sunday Abel

 

ONE WHO ASPIRES BECOMING A WRITER MUST HAVE THE EMOTIONAL MUSCLE TO WITHSTAND SEVERAL "NOS" FROM PUBLISHERS - CHUKWU SUNDAY ABEL


 

Chukwu Sunday Abel is a fiction writer, a journalist and an on air personality. He is also the first Prize Winner of the 2020 Creators Of Justice Literary Award organized by the International Human Rights Art Festival (IHRAF). In this Interview with Wole Adedoyin, he shared with him details about his life and writing career.

WA: PLEASE, KINDLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF.

CSA: Chukwu Sunday Abel is a journalist and a writer; the 2020 Creators Of Justice Literary Award First Prize Winner, a Runner up in the Victoria Literary Festival, Canada. My Literary works have appeared in anthologies and magazines across four continents.

WA: HOW AND WHERE DID YOU HEAR ABOUT IHRAF AND IHRAF PUBLISHES?

CSA: I heard about IHRAF through a newsletter. The newsletter was delivered to my email. Among the items of news in the newsletter was call for submissions from IHRAF for its 2020 Creators Of Justice Literary Award. This award, my short story: "Less Human" eventually won the first prize.

WA: WHAT IS THE TITLE OF YOUR WORK THAT GOT PUBLISHED IN IHRAF PUBLISHES?

CSA: It's "Less Human"; it won the first prize for 2020 Creators of Justice Literary Award for Short stories category.

WA: DID YOU PARTICIPATE IN IHRAF'S LAST YEAR END SARS COMPETITION?

CSA: I did participate in IHRAF ENDSARS National Poetry Competition. I was happy that my poem: "Green Split Flag" made the shortlist and later designated "Notable Contribution" as well as published in the anthology alongside with other beautiful collections.

WA: DOES WRITING ENERGIZE OR EXHAUST YOU?

CSA: Writing is an inexhaustible forte to me. I am always motivated to write, to make my voice heard; I write to right, this is evident in so many of literary works published in magazines and anthologies across four continents.

WA: WHAT ARE THE COMMON TRAPS FOR ASPIRING WRITERS?

CSA: The most common trap for emerging writers is “not a good fit for us" from Editors of magazines. This tends to make aspiring writers discouraged, consequently, lazy. Also, prioritizing monetary gains at the expense of making one's voice heard is another pitfall for emerging writers.

WA: HAVE YOU EVER EXPERIENCED READER'S BLOCK?

CSA: In have not experienced reader's block.

WA: DID YOU EVER CONSIDER WRITING UNDER A PSEUDONYM?

CSA: I have never considered writing under a pseudonym.

WA: DO YOU TRY MORE TO BE ORIGINAL OR TO DELIVER TO READERS WHAT THEY WANT?

CSA: Most of my literary works are reflections of the past or unfolding events in my home country and the sociological, political and environmental issues affecting Africa. My writings are tailored to right; hence, I consider myself a satirist who writes to right rather than to entertain.

WA: DO YOU THINK SOMEONE COULD BE A WRITER IF HE DOESN'T FEEL EMOTIONS STRONGLY?

CSA: Becoming a writer is hugely dependent on the will to do so. One who aspires becoming a writer must have the emotional muscle to withstand several "No's" from publishers.

WA: WHAT OTHER AUTHORS ARE YOU FRIENDS WITH, AND HOW DO THEY HELP YOU BECOME A BETTER WRITER?

CSA: Popular Nigerian authors such as Chika Unigwe, Helon Habila have been a great influence on my development. Chika Unigwe in particular has been pivotal in my growth as a writer. Sometime ago, when my manuscript received a traditional publishing deal from Europe books, she advised me on how to go about it.

However, the writer whose literary works have greatly impacted me is late Buchi Emechata.

WA: WHAT WAS THE EARLY EXPERIENCE IN WHICH YOU LEARNED THAT LANGUAGE HAD POWER?

CSA: My mum was a profound story teller. She told us simple stories that were compelling because of her choice of words. I will say she taught me the immeasurable power inherent in language.

WA: WHAT ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT MAGAZINES FOR WRITERS TO SUBSCRIBE?

CSA: No magazine is actually less important than the other. It depends on the writer's or reader's interest and liking. I will recommend IHRAF publishes, Granta, Afreada, the Preachy, Brittle paper, Strange Horizon, The Sun Magazine, etc.

WA: HOW MANY UNPUBLISHED BOOKS HAVE YOU FINISHED?

CSA: At present, I have two completed novel length manuscripts. Of the two, one is forthcoming 2022.

WA: WHAT DOES LITERARY SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE TO YOU?

CSA: Literary success to me is the gratification that comes from one seeing one's literary works in worthwhile places as well as getting commendation; this to me, is Literary success.

WA: WHAT'S THE BEST WAY TO MARKET YOUR BOOKS?

CSA: I am not interested in self-publishing, hence I have not thought about marketing my books without the assistance of the publisher.

WA: WHAT KIND OF RESEARCH DO YOU DO, HOW LONG DO YOU SPEND RESEARCHING BEFORE BEGINNING A BOOK?

CSA: Every writer has his niche of writing, the aspect he thinks his literary skills best fit in. I am a fiction writer and fiction writing is hugely dependent on the writer's creative inventions and instinct. There is often little researching in fiction writing.

WA:  DO YOU VIEW WRITING AS A KIND OF SPIRITUAL PRACTICE?

CSA: To me, writing depends on one's imaginative and creative ability. I don't think it has something to do with religiosity and spirituality.

WA: FINAL ADVICE FOR IHRAF PUBLISHES.

CSA: First, I have to commend IHRAF Publishes for its notable contribution in fostering human rights globally. Its increasing presence in Africa is not only timely but long awaited.

I enjoin IHRAF not to relent in giving voice to the voiceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment