April 16, 2021

I don’t write to compete, I write to educate and entertain-Luqman Alawode

 

OSOGBO BOOK CLUB INTERVIEW SERIES

I DON’T WRITE TO COMPETE, I WRITE TO EDUCATE AND ENTERTAIN-LUQMAN ALAWODE

 


Luqman Alawode is the Director of Studies, Initiative for Sound Education, Relationship & Health. Also, Osun State Coordinator of SYNW and a Fellow of the World Institute for Peace. He is the founder of Humanity First Initiative and Initiator of War Against Fake News, a global anthology that was targeted at eradication of spread of fake news across the globe. In this interview with Wole Adedoyin, he talks about his love for writing and experience as a writer.

 

WA: WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO START WRITING?

LA: Writing to me is inborn, though my father was not a writer but he was an orator, he speaks senses and anybody that is so close to him like I did would have no option than to put on a thinking cap. His words are inspirations. So I can say, it all started from the willingness to document my father’s words of wisdom. This is how I developed the skill couple with the everyday happenings within my environment.

 

WA: HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN WRITING

LA: Long ago, I can’t really say precisely but officially, I started in 2014 courtesy of my wife’s wishes to know my special skill apart from everyday’s office assignment.

 

WA: HAVE YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO BE A WRITER

LA: Yes, it was not accidental. I have always wished to be a writer

 

WA: WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE A NEW WRITER, SOMEONE JUST STARTING OUT?

LA: Writing is not a money bag. Fine, you can make it through writing but do not starts with the aim of making too much money otherwise you will be shown a way out very quickly. Start slowly and watch your skills taking you across the globe.

 

WA: HOW DO YOU HANDLE WRITERS BLOCK?

LA: Well, I don’t really experience this as such because writing is a pleasure to me. I don’t write to compete, I write to entertain and enlighten. So, I write only when I am inspired to do so.

 

WA: HOW MANY BOOKS HAVE YOU WRITTEN?

LA: Sincerely, I have not published through the traditional publishers, most of my works are online. I have two of my books on Okadabooks; NEMESIS and POWER OF THE TONGUE. Also, I have championed and also participated in several anthologies both Local and International. I have also published a magazine on humanity, it was released late 2020.

 

WA: WHAT IS THE MOST SURPRISING THING YOU DISCOVERED WHILE WRITING YOUR BOOK(S)?

LA: The way the inspiration comes. I never knew I could write as much as I am doing today but the moment I start writing, I never get bored. 

 

WA: DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE CHARACTER THAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN? IF SO, WHO? AND WHAT MAKES THEM SPECIAL?

LA: OLAMIDE in my book titled “OLAMIDE THE GLORIOUS CHILD” unfortunately; I sold the book to a publisher when I had no knowledge about how writing works. 

 

WA: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR INSPIRATION?

LA: Everywhere 

 

WA: HAVE ANY OF YOUR BOOKS BEEN TRANSLATED TO AUDIOBOOK? 

LA: No

 

WA: WHICH OF YOUR BOOKS WERE THE MOST ENJOYABLE TO WRITE?

LA: OLAMIDE THE GLORIOUS CHILD

 

WA: WHAT, IN YOUR OPINION ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT ELEMENTS OF GOOD WRITING?

LA: The “THEME” that is central idea must be clearly understood. Before writing, the writer should understand what he/she wanted to write about

AUDIENCE; you are not writing for yourself, if it is for you, you already know the story but since writing is for others either to educate or entertain them, the writer must have the audience in mind.

CLARITY: Ambiguous words can piss your readers off, be as clear as possible.

POINT OF VIEW:  Your point of view has to be specific. Are you writing in first person, second or third?

 

WA: WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE AUTHOR OF ALL TIME?

LA: I celebrate all authors. I don’t go with name but contents of books. However, I think JP CLARK

 

WA: YOUR FAVOURITE BOOK BY HIM

LA: The Wives Revolt

 

WA: HAS A BOOK EVER CHANGED YOUR LIFE?

LA: Not really but I am usually motivated when reading biographies 

 

WA: WHAT GENRE DO YOU LOVE?

LA: All. All genres have their significance 

 

WA: ARE THERE ANY GENRES YOU DISLIKE?

LA: No

 

WA: WHAT AUTHOR (WHO IS STILL LIVING) WOULD YOU DEARLY LOVE TO MEET?

LA: Wole Soyinka

 

WA: WHAT BOOK CAN YOU RECOMMEND TO ME?

LA: Talent is Never Enough – Brian Tracy

 

No comments:

Post a Comment