May 20, 2021

Good writing should have focus, relatable, clear, poignant and must have a strong connection between the writer and the reader - Oladejo Haneef

 

OSOGBO BOOK CLUB INTERVIEW SERIES


 

GOOD WRITING SHOULD HAVE FOCUS, RELATABLE, CLEAR, POIGNANT AND MUST HAVE A STRONG CONNECTION BETWEEN THE WRITER AND THE READER - OLADEJO HANEEF

Oladejo Haneef O, also known as Harnyfman Asishana is a graduate of English language and Education at Ekiti State University, Ado Ekiti. He is a teacher, poet, writer, and motivator. He loves writing poems with every surrounding theme because his inspiration is driven by the happenings around him. He is friendly and straightforward; he is simple, and simplicity is beheld in most of his works that have found their ways to anthologies, magazines, and journals. He was one of the shortlisted Top 100 Student Poets in Nigeria by the PIN NSPP (Nigerian Students Poetry Prize) Award in 2017. In this comprehensive interview with Wole Adedoyin, he talks about his writing vocation.

 

WA: WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO START WRITING?

 

HANEEF: This is indeed a memory I would always want to remember. It all started a very long time ago when I used to be an ardent radio listener. Then I would listen to all sorts of motivational talks. I as well would read religious books and articles on every topic that came my way. That inspired me to give my thought and display it to people. Apart from articles, I started creatively with three poems while I was in secondary school.

 

WA: HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN WRITING?

 

HANEEF: It's been a long time. A very long time ago.

 

WA: WHEN DID YOU START WRITING?

 

HANEEF: I started writing while in Junior Secondary School. I was in class 2. That's... yes, that would be 2006/'07. That would be the first time I remember putting something together creatively. I was pondering over a motivational talk I had listened to that morning and, boom... I wrote three poems. Though, only God knows where they are now. I could faintly remember the contents of each poem.

 

WA: HAVE YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO BE A WRITER?

 

HANEEF: Ordinarily, no! Creatively, yes! I have had encounters with creative individuals, some of which are on television shows and movies. I would put myself in their positions and believe I could do what they are doing. You know, in a movie, we've got different actors taking exceptional roles, they are always my model. Imagine seeing a kid in a movie doing perfectly with his dialogue... same goes with any orator that orates beautifully. All these aroused my interest in becoming like them. I had no clues to 'how', then.

 

WA: WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE A NEW WRITER, SOMEONE JUST STARTING OUT?

 

HANEEF: We've all got potentials! There's a 'spark' in every individual. You shouldn't wait for an angel to tap at your shoulder before you begin to get yourself into action... I am worried you will live without doing anything. A new writer needs to know his capabilities and tries to go by them. He needs to know his space and earn it without any reservation. There is no crime in trying new things, but it shouldn't be to your detriment. A new writer should try to establish himself with the people around him and know what they've known him for, and then he builds on it. It's essential to know who your audience is and the type of work they look up to from you. Though I will strongly advise him to let not the world craft him, he should craft the world in his way. There is no limit to what he can do.

 

WA: HOW DO YOU HANDLE WRITER’S BLOCK?

 

HANEEF: Every writer must have experienced this a lot of time. I am the type who harnesses many things together, and sometimes I could be too empty to put something down. And sometimes, there would be a lot of ideas about something going through me but how to put them down is a significant issue. Most of the time I go through this; I don't bother myself too much. At that moment, I would write about the situation, how it is, now I'm unable to put my thoughts to fill a blank page... doing that for a while would help me get there - putting down some of the ideas I have had initially. Apart from that, I sometimes read, and it's helped a lot.

 

WA: HOW MANY BOOKS HAVE YOU WRITTEN?

 

HANEEF: I have collections of poems, unpublished.

 

WA: WHAT IS THE MOST SURPRISING THING YOU DISCOVERED WHILE WRITING YOUR BOOK(S)?

 

HANEEF: That's hard to say, lol. I do more poetry than any other genre. While collating some of my poems that have their themes streamlined, I had many memories relishing. I knew I have only written my feelings, and I did that so well, but the thought of getting it across to individuals strikes me. I was having it mind if my thoughts are going to be synced with theirs. Despite that fact, I was never going to let it douse the enthusiasm. I collected some of my poems, and the number amazed me.

 

WA: WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE CHARACTER?

 

HANEEF: For some dramatic poems I have, I would say 'Akanmu,' lol. Akanmu is a character in a duet, a poem written with Aboo-l-Marjaan, a prolific poet. The poem is titled 'Tẹ́nì ń Tẹ́nì' (to each his own). For others, especially poems written with a particular poetic form, Ghazal.

 

WA: DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE CHARACTER THAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN? IF SO, WHO? AND WHAT MAKES THEM SO SPECIAL.

 

HANEEF: Yes, it's just like I have mentioned earlier. My favourite character is Manash. There's what we call 'Takhallus' in Ghazal Poetry form. It means a poet's Pen-name, and it's expected to be featured, especially in the last part of the poem. Apart from 'Harnyfman Asishana,' that which would be my pseudonym, Manash is another name I cherish. I have also used it in a poem as well as an 'immortal conjurer,' lol.

 

WA: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR INSPIRATION?

 

HANEEF: I get them from within, and most of them from everything around me—love, hatred, melancholy, loneliness, struggle, motivation, opinions and thoughts, etc. I am also inspired by the book I read and the movie I watch.

 

WA: WHERE CAN READERS PURCHASE YOUR BOOKS?

 

HANEEF: I haven't published any books. Though, some of my poems have been published in anthologies and poetry journals. I do share my poems on literary platforms or read to friends in a book reading club or poetry hangout. Although I have a blog, it's not too active until recently. You can see some old poems of mine on harnyfmanwrites.wordpress.com.

 

WA: WHERE CAN READERS FIND OUT MORE ABOUT YOU AND YOUR BOOKS?

 

HANEEF: They can connect on Facebook - Harnyfman Asishana. Instagram - @man_asishana.

 

WA: HAVE ANY OF YOUR BOOKS BEEN MADE INTO AUDIOBOOKS?

 

HANEEF: Not at all.

 

WA: IF SO, WHAT ARE THE CHALLENGES IN PRODUCING AN AUDIO BOOK?

 

HANEEF: I haven't tried. Even I am yet to publish my collections. I can't say anything about it yet.

 

WA: WHICH OF YOUR BOOKS WERE THE MOST ENJOYABLE TO WRITE?

 

HANEEF: 'Urban Strife,' one of my collection of poems.

 

WA: WHAT, IN YOUR OPINION, ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT ELEMENTS OF GOOD WRITING?

 

HANEEF: It has a lot to it, but it starts from somewhere. Good writing should have focus, a connection between the writer and reader, relatable, clear, and poignant. If a piece is written with all these elements, In my opinion, it is a good one.

 

WA: WHO'S YOUR FAVORITE AUTHOR OF ALL TIME?

 

HANEEF: Odia Ofeimum

 

WA: YOUR FAVORITE BOOK BY HIM?

 

HANEEF: The Poet Lied.

 

 

WA: ARE THERE ANY GENRES YOU DISLIKE?

 

HANEEF: No! I love all the genres. I am establishing myself in all the genres.

 

 

WA: WHAT AUTHOR (WHO IS STILL LIVING) WOULD YOU DEARLY LOVE TO MEET?

 

HANEEF: Wọlé Soyinka. He's been a legend of all times.

 

WA: DO YOU LIKE TO DISPLAY YOUR BOOKS ON A BOOKSHELF OR KEEP THEM IN A VIRTUAL LIBRARY?

 

HANEEF: I would like both. Having my books in both Hard and Soft copies would be a privilege.

 

 

WA: DO YOU PREFER FLASH FICTION, SHORT STORIES, NOVELLAS, OR NOVELS?

 

HANEEF: Short stories.

 

 

WA: WHAT BOOK CAN YOU RECOMMEND TO ME?

 

HANEEF: Richard Wright's Black Boy.

 

 

WA: WHEN DID YOU LAST VISIT A LIBRARY?

 

HANEEF: Some days ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment