January 22, 2021

Hear what Prof Wole Soyinka says about the proposed ANA Ogun Dinner/Award Night

 

HEAR WHAT PROF WOLE SOYINKA SAYS ABOUT THE PROPOSED ANA OGUN DINNER/AWARD NIGHT


 
A member of ANA Advisory Board and I interacted nearly a fortnight ago and I thought this was all straightened out DEFINITIVELY. Now enters this notification by a state chapter to an event in my honour. I consider it manipulative. Obviously some more astringent measures have become mandatory to insulate myself from this kind of abuse.

For now, kindly use all ANA Channels to make members understand that I am no party to this event . I never gave my consent to it, and thoroughly resent the insertion of my person into a very murky situation. As a matter of elementary courtesy, I would have thought that one's personal consent would be sought before being advertised as recipient of any honours anywhere in the world. This is BASIC USAGE in any culture  of mutual respect and under any circumstances. I am astonished that an association of creative minds would consider flouting such norms, even for one second. As the Nigerian saying goes: you do not try to shave a man's head in his absence. Simple!

I DEMAND, as of seriously considered choice, that I be kept out of any future projects, attributions and claims by no matter what ANA faction. I would hate to have to approach the courts for a restraining order in order to exercise my fundamental human rights.

I authorise the dissemination of this statement on all available fora.

 

Wole SOYINKA

No comments:

Post a Comment