January 15, 2021

My Poem “Bermuda Triangle” Resonates Around The Death of Jimoh Isiaq During the END SARS Protest- Godstime Akubueze Nwaeze

 

MY POEM “BERMUDA TRIANGLE” RESONATES AROUND THE DEATH OF JIMOH ISIAQ DURING THE END SARS PROTEST- GODSTIME AKUBUEZE NWAEZE


Godstime Akubueze Nwaeze is from Izzi in Ebonyi State, Nigeria. He is a poet and an essayist. Nwaeze won the END SARS National Poetry Competition. In this comprehensive interview with Wole Adedoyin, he shared with him some facts surrounding his writing career and his winning poem tagged ““Bermuda Triangle”.

 

WA: WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO START WRITING?

GN: Thank you very much for this question. I had many things going on in my life, and ideas in my mind with very few ears to really listen, so I found a friend in writing. Specifically, it was solitariness that inspired me to start writing especially poems as a means of emotional transmutation. Today, the pen is my closest pal.

WA: HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN WRITING?

GN: I started writing when I became much aware of my existential realities. My first poem was in 2017, and reading it now makes me cringe, but my first publication was in 2019 in the anthology of top one hundred poems of Nigerian Students Poetry Prize.

WA: YOUR POEM “BERMUDA TRIANGLE” CAME FIRST; CAN YOU TELL US THE SECRET BEHIND IT?

GN: There’s no secret, really, but I kept reviewing the poem for weeks, and even had three friends read it too; each of them made a significant contribution and gave me different perspectives which developed the quality of the poem.

WA: WHAT, IN YOUR OPINION, ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT ELEMENTS OF GOOD WRITING?

GN: In my opinion, the most important elements of good writing are thematic relevance, great imagery, structure and word mastery or wit.

WA: HOW DID YOU COME UP WITH THE TITLE TO YOUR WINNING POEM?

GN: The title was inspired by an image I saw on Facebook; it was an image of a Police station of the defunct Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS). It had the shape of a rectangle, and I was quick to relate it to Bermuda triangle. I thought “Bermuda Triangle” would make some sense bearing in mind the irregularities of SARS and its familiarity with the stories of the place known as Bermuda triangle.

WA: CAN YOU SHARE WITH US SOMETHING ABOUT THE POEM?

GN: The poem is actually a true account I had while traveling, and it explores the fragility associated with being a young man especially in some neighborhood where young boys are wantonly hunted by the defunct SARS.

WA: IS WRITING YOUR FULL-TIME CAREER? OR WOULD YOU LIKE IT TO BE?

GN: I would like it to be, but second to law practice.

WA: ON A TYPICAL DAY, HOW MUCH TIME DO YOU SPEND WRITING?

GN: It depends on my schedule and the nature of what I’m writing, but I could estimate the time to be about three hours. And usually, I always have to read whenever I’m writing. On some weird days, I could sit at my desk throughout the day, or night. However, from the moment I pick an inspiration to write a poem or an essay, it takes a week or more, depending on the deadline if I’m writing for an entry, to brainstorm, gather ideas or facts, write, edit, rewrite and finally finish it.

WA: WRITING CAN BE AN EMOTIONALLY DRAINING AND STRESSFUL PURSUIT. ANY TIPS FOR ASPIRING WRITERS?

GN: Well, whoever is writing should define their purpose of writing; learn to manage time because of other tasks they’d be involved in- this would help to reduce mental and physical stress. They should also see rejections as part of the craft, and use it to their advantage, but very importantly, writers should read the works of others and be consistent in writing. As it is with every job, take a break sometimes.

WA: HOW DO YOU HANDLE LITERARY CRITICISM?

GN: Literary criticism is a vital element of growth for me; it gives me perspectives and help heighten the quality of my works. So, I welcome it with gratitude, and I hope to get more critics in my circle.

WA: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR INSPIRATION?

GN: My inspiration comes from the observation of day to day activities. I also pick ideas from having conversations, and serenity.

WA: WHERE CAN READERS FIND OUT MORE ABOUT YOU AND YOUR BOOKS?

GN: I’m most active on Facebook (Godstime Nwaeze) where I share my publications, but the best place to find me is one on one; I’m generally not very expressive on social media.So, say 'hi' when you see me.

WA: WHAT WAS THE INSPIRATION FOR THE STORY IN YOUR POEM?

GN: “Bermuda Triangle” has been living in my mind but only came alive with the EndSARS protest, then I thought it was the best time to produce the poem.

WA: WHAT IS THE KEY THEME AND/OR MESSAGE IN THE POEM?

GN: The key message of the poem is Police brutality and extortion, and it resonates the death of Jimoh Isiaq during the EndSARS protest.

WA: WHAT DO YOU HOPE YOUR READERS TAKE AWAY FROM THIS POEM?

GN: I would like my readers to reach the resolve that even as unsafe as it could be, we can demand institutions of government to serve us accordingly.

WA: WHAT IS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE TITLE?

GN: As a place, Bermuda Triangle is said to have experienced the disappearance of ships and aircrafts under mysterious circumstances, and this significantly captures some of the activities of the defunct SARS reported to have masterminded the death of some victims even without the knowledge of their relatives. Others were wantonly captured into cells until they’re bailed. So, I think the title is significant to these ends.

WA: WHAT WERE THE KEY CHALLENGES YOU FACED WHEN WRITING THIS POEM?

GN: When I decided I was going to bring forth the experience I had while traveling as a poem, I really didn’t know what structure and style I would adopt. So, while I had the idea in my mind, it was difficult to produce it. And because of this, it became the first prose poem I wrote; I thought it would best be presented as a narration.

WA: WHAT DO YOU LIKE TO DO WHEN YOU ARE NOT WRITING?

GN: When I’m not writing, I read, I play/watch football games, have conversations, listen to songs, or enjoy silence.

WA: WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE AUTHOR AND WHY?

GN: This is a difficult question because I have many of them, but I go with C.P. Varkey. His works have had the most profitable influence on me as a person.

WA: WHAT BOOKS OR AUTHORS HAVE MOST INFLUENCED YOUR OWN WRITING?

GN: There’s Chinua Ezenwa Oha-eto, Taiye Ojo, Chiwenite Kingsley, and many other good guys. I’m always on the lookout for their latest.

WA: Okay! Thank you Godstime for your time, and congratulations once again.

 

GN: Thank you very much for having me.

1 comment: