June 9, 2021

Any New Writer Should Try To Read At Least 100 Books Before Starting To Write

 

ANY NEW WRITER SHOULD TRY TO READ AT LEAST 100 BOOKS BEFORE STARTING TO WRITE

 

Dominic Oigo Maina is currently a final year student of the Kenyatta University. He is currently pursuing Bachelor of Education in Kiswahili Language and Religious Studies. In this interview with Wole Adedoyin, he talks about his writing

 

 

WA: TELL US ABOUT YOUR WRITING BACKGROUND- WHAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN, WHAT YOU ARE CURRENTLY WRITING

 

DOM: I am Dominic Oigo Maina, Kenyan citizen aged 24 years. I am finalist in one of the top Universities in Kenya- Kenyatta University in the school of Education where I am pursuing Bachelor of Education in Kiswahili Language and Religious Studies. I started writing at the age of 13 where I used to write short essays and poems. Although I was not published from age 13, it was when I joined college that I was first published. My two books, written in Kiswahili language were published when I was a first-year student. Since then, I have continued to write a number, published 8 books in Kiswahili language and the first English story I wrote is on Science Fiction which is soon being published by a publisher in New Zealand.

 

WA:  WHAT EXCITES YOU ABOUT A PIECE OF WRITING?

 

DOM: What excites me in a piece of writing is the suspense I create when writing, vividly knowing what I intend to write but keeping it a secret from my readers.

 

WA:  WHO ARE YOUR FAVORITE WRITERS AND WHY?

 

DOM: My favorite writers are many but just to mention, I like writers who try to write about African experiences. With this regard, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie from Nigeria comes first then said Ahmed Mohammed of Zanzibar comes second among many others like Ngugi wa Thiong’o of Kenya.

 

WA:  WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO A NEW WRITER STARTING OUT?

 

DOM: My advice to every young writer is to have a purpose and never to compare themselves with another writer. They have to be themselves and make the best out of them

 

WA: WHAT INSPIRES YOU TO WRITE?

 

DOM: I found that I live in a society surrounded with issues. I find it better to write about these issues and in one way, someone somewhere may end up changing or getting hope from what I write.

 

WA: DO YOU HAVE A WRITING ROUTINE? A PLACE THAT’S SPECIAL?

 

DOM: Yes. I have a routine.  Try to write at least 500 words of any fiction work daily. I spend most of my time in the library.

 

WA:  HOW, WHEN AND WHY DID YOU FIRST START WRITING?

 

DOM: I started writing after reading a book by Meja Mwangi called Kill Me Quick. I was 13 years old.

 

WA:  WHAT WAS THE FIRST PIECE YOU HAD PUBLISHED?

 

DOM:  A Kiswahili novel “SIRI YA TISA NA SITA” “The Secret of Tisa and Sita.”

 

WA: DO YOU ADDRESS ANY PARTICULAR THEMES OR ISSUES IN YOUR WRITING?

 

DOM: Not really. I am a general writer.

 

WA:  HOW DID YOU FEEL WHEN YOU FIRST STARTED SENDING YOUR WRITING OUT TO THE WORLD?

 

DOM: The feeling was nice. I remember when I was first published. I did not take supper that night. I was too happy to learn that every lucky individual will read my work and critique it.

 

WA: WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR IDEAS FROM?

 

DOM: I get my ideas first from primary sources that is the society and then secondary sources that is books.

 

WA:  HOW DID YOU GET YOUR PUBLISHER?

 

DOM: I got my publisher through my mentor.

 

WA: TELL US WHAT KIND OF RESPONSE YOU GET FROM AUDIENCES / READERS

 

DOM: A positive and encouraging response. Every one inspires me to keep on writing until I reach to the peak.

 

WA: HOW CAN PEOPLE FIND MORE ABOUT YOU?

 

DOM: Social media platforms. Facebook; maina dominic dommy; twitter; @Dominic Maina 77

 

WA:  TIPS, TRICKS, THINGS THAT YOU PASS ON TO DEDICATED WRITERS

 

DOM: Always work hard and they should ensure they become their own in terms of creativity.

 

WA: ANY TYPICAL MISTAKES THAT NEW WRITERS TEND TO MAKE?

 

DOM: Rush. Many new writers rush into writing. Other start writing without reading other works. For me, any new writer should try to read at least 100 books before starting to write.

 

WA: WHICH OF YOUR BOOKS WERE THE MOST ENJOYABLE TO WRITE?

 

DOM: A Kiswahili novella; Hatima ya Musa. “Musa’s Destiny”

 

WA: TELL US ABOUT YOUR FIRST PUBLISHED BOOK. WHAT WAS THE JOURNEY LIKE?

 

DOM: I really cannot recall everything but I remember I wrote the book using a smartphone which had a cracked screen, and I made it.

 

WA: ON YOUR LATEST BOOK TITLED, CAN YOU SHARE WITH US SOMETHING ABOUT THE BOOK?

 

DOM: My latest book is a Kiswahili decodable children story where I used literature to teach phonics and sound.

 

WA: WHAT IS THE KEY THEME AND/OR MESSAGE IN THE BOOK?

 

DOM: Importance of conserving the environment.

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment